Pumpkin Whoppie Pies2015-05-08
- Skill Level: BASIC
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies take two round, domed shaped pumpkin flavored cookies and sandwiches them together with a soft and creamy vanilla filling. Pumpkin pie is, hands down, the most iconic Thanksgiving dessert. See the recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (for filling)
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened (for filling)
- Pinch of salt (for filling)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (for filling)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or vanilla extract (for filling)
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices in a bowl and in a separate large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until well combined, then stir in flour mixture.
Using a 1-ounce ice cream scoop or tablespoon measure, drop a scant scoop's worth of batter or 2 scant tablespoons of batter onto a lined baking sheet to form 1 mound. Make 15 more mounds, arranging them 2 inches apart until baking sheet is full (you will have batter left over).
Bake until springy to the touch, 12 to 18 minutes. Transfer cookie-cakes to rack to cool.
While cookie-cakes are baking, beat cream cheese, butter, and salt in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and bourbon and mix on low speed until smooth. Chill filling until firm enough to hold its shape when spread, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of filling each on flat side of half the cooled cookie-cakes, then top with other half of cookie-cakes. If necessary, chill whoopie pies just long enough to firm up filling again, about 30 minutes. Gently press pecans onto filling around middle of each whoopie pie to help them adhere to filling.